Saturday, May 20, 2006

The Sumo: Armature


Sculpture has always been an interest of mine. When I was little my favorite things were Play-dough and and Lego (funny how they rime too). Needless to say, I was very excited when I found out there was a class on the subject in my current course. $80 later I got to start putting together my first official sculpture. Geordie, the instructor, wants us to do something relatively figurative, meaning it's got to be based on life, anatomy and observation. I'm making a sumo wrestler.

Sumo, as you know, are big guys which means lots of clay. Only took about half a block covered this thing without a problem, so that's not too bad I've still got a block and a half for the second piece. Actually putting details on is seeming rather difficult at the moment but I'm sure I'll get it right. WheneverI try to add something, like the nose for instance, it just melds with everything else, and if I try to take anything away it goes too deep, or just doesn't work. I've been thinking about it though, and I've got some ideas that might work for me.

My second sculpture is going to be a sea serpent. it'll be going in, and out of the "water" and should hopefully be cool, and relatively easy. I've heard that making something come out of the base is pretty difficult, but I think I can pull it off. I'll be posting pics of that project as I go through it as well. One thing at a time, gotta finish this one first.

On a seperate note, my computer was fixed yesterday, which is of course awesome. The power supply went screwy after a short but powerfull lightning storm that I had the pleasure of walking through. Joy. That same storm caused my cell phone to stop working properly, another thing we got fixed up yesterday. I ended up getting a new phone, and by new I mean new to me. It's got a camera though so I'm happy about that, and it was free, and everyone's happy about that. The only bad thing is that I had been saving my phonebook onto the phone itelf instead of the SIM card, so I lost all of my contacts.

The school year is steadily drawing to a close and soon I'll be back here in Fredericton for a whole two months of the summer. I'd be more excited except that I know what I'm doing for the whole break and it involves Blockbuster, the Supper Store and me being very tired at the end. It's necesarry though since I screwed myself over with credit cards. I'm going to have to sell some stuff as well, just to make sure I end up with little to no debt when all is said and done.

Anywho, I'm just rambling on right now, so untill next time...Peace.

No comments: